Tuesday 21 June 2016

How to waste time as an author

Fighting with your muse.

Yeah, total waste of time....

Didn't stop me from doing it thought. I've spent the last six months trying to convince my muse that we want to write what is popular at the moment. Every story I started I second guessed based on the genre or heat level. For a brief (really brief) moment I considered working on some YA. It was silly really thinking I could win a war with my muse. That pig headed kilted warrior I've got for a muse simply ignored me and watched reruns of the Sarah Conner Chronicles while gouging on junk food.....the jerk.

So I did what any other desperate author does. I gave in to what my brain wanted to write. It might now be the most popular but I'm really having fun with it.

Remember Damnation Alley? Yes, I know I'm dating myself with this one. It was one of my favourite movies. (Although, I watched it recently and don't remember it being to incredibly cheezie!)  Even as a teen I was a post-apocalyptic junkie and that hasn't changed much now that I'm in my 40's. I'm still fascinated by the survival of the human spirit and what would happen if everything we knew...changed.

Kennedy Layne has an awesome series that I'm addicted to. Her Surviving Ashes series takes place during the beginning of an apocalypse when the Yellowstone Caldera erupts. There are three books so far and the fourth is due out in September and I've loved them. 

Jana Downs Deadzone series is another of my favourites. I think I've reread her three book series more than any other. There's love, lust and zombies....I know sounds awesome. right!

I realize I might be in the minority with my post-apocalyptic fan-girling which is why I've dragged by heels on finishing my own book. But, now that I've given up the fight...I'm having a lot of fun creating my own post-apocalyptic world. Yes, there might be a zombie or three....but that's not going to be the focus of the story, I do write romance after all. Can two people from warring cities find love in the middle of a wasteland. I sure hope so. <3

So tell me, do you read/enjoy post-apocalyptic books? I've mentioned a couple that I enjoy, do you have any suggestions for me?



No comments:

Post a Comment